[kwlug-disc] Rogers Bandwith Limit - Consequences of exceeding?

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Fri Jan 30 12:51:49 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
> Rogers site says on their website you can exceed your monthly bandwidth
> limit (different costs per GB exceeded, depending upon your plan), to a
> maximum of $25.00.
>
> Poking about the web, it seems that at some point they significantly limit
> your bandwidth. I wonder if at some point they just cut you off. (Until your
> next monthly period begins.)
>
> Anyone have hard experience with this / costs / limits / consequences?

If you're concerned about bandwidth usage, the real question is: Why
are you still using Rogers?

TekSavvy provides a 200GB/month and an unlimited plan, both at 5Mbps
for $30 and $40/month:

http://teksavvy.com/en/resdsl.asp?ID=7&mID=1

Execulink provides an unlimited plan at up to 5Mbps for $40/month:

http://www.execulink.ca/residential/internet/dsl.php

If you like Rogers for their raw speed (I get a consistent 10Mbps with
their Extreme package), then I could understand, but if you're using
it for torrenting, then raw speed doesn't matter as much and total
bandwidth will be more important to you.

Denver
http://ossguy.com/