[kwlug-disc] Canadian judge rules no privacy for online tasks

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Feb 18 20:20:32 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 07:54:05PM -0500, jon wrote:

> Interesting discussion we have here.  I think I'll fire off a letter to
> Rogers (my ISP) and formally ask them for their policy in light of this
> court case...  I'll let everyone know the results if I ever get them.

They will probably point you to their Terms of Service, which mentions
nothing about warrants:

Section 29: Confidentiality of Your Information

"Unless you provide express consent, or disclosure is required pursuant to a
legal power, all information regarding you kept by us, other than your name,
address, and listed telephone number, is confidential and may not be
disclosed by us to anyone other than:

"a law enforcement agency whenever we have reasonable grounds to believe
that you have knowingly supplied us with false or misleading information
or are otherwise involved in unlawful activities..."

http://www.your.rogers.com/about/legaldisclaimer/TOS_Eng.pdf

In fact, reading that with an eye for loopholes, if someone called up and
asked what mailing address belonged to some random Rogers IP, since your
name and address are not considered confidential, I wonder if the ToS
could be stretched to allow it....

Just adding to the paranoia.  :-)

- Chris