[kwlug-disc] Canadian judge rules no privacy for online tasks

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Feb 18 18:59:54 EST 2009

Raul Suarez wrote, On 02/18/2009 6:32 PM:
> --- On Wed, 2/18/09, Kyle Spaans <3lucid at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The lack of privacy doesn't bother me.
>
> That's a given on the internet, whoever think otherwise is delutional.
>
>> But ISPs letting people see my records without a warrant?
>> That makes me uncomfortable.
>
> And rightfully so.
>
> Imagine this scenario:
>
> - Jealous policeman
> - Wife with a friend
> - Policeman gets the records
> - Guess the end of the story...
>
> Second scenario:
>
> - Rouge policeman
> - Indiscreet politician/personality/business person
> - Policeman gets the records
> - How far fetched would you think blackmail can be?
>
> Common sense, the Judge just had to have common sense and read the news about rouge police.

I suspect your scenarios aren't reasonable. I don't expect 'law
enforcement' = a single person. i.e. Walking in off the street,
without official record, and without the ok from someone else.

Certainly I doubt any ISP would release the records, in printed form
at least, without a letter or other documentation on letterhead.