[kwlug-disc] Canadian judge rules no privacy for online tasks

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Feb 18 17:08:40 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 15:00, Kyle Spaans <3lucid at gmail.com> wrote:
> The lack of privacy doesn't bother me.
>
> But ISPs letting people see my records without a warrant? (Where
> people, I take it, are law
> officials) That makes me uncomfortable.

>From my reading of the article, though, there is no requirement for an
ISP to fulfil a request without a warrant, the decision simply says
that evidence collected is admissible if they do. I hope that the
majority of ISPs do not make use of this decision and insist on
warrants. A certain amount of preparation is required to get a warrant
(in theory :), but provided reasonable suspicion, this does not hamper
law enforcement.

Somehow I keep thinking that the CRTC is going to hear about this and
decide to check if you viewed enough Canadian content. ;)

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>

*Actually aluminium foil, apparently. Just can't find good tin foil these days.