[kwlug-disc] Canadian judge rules no privacy for online tasks

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Wed Feb 18 11:33:14 EST 2009

I recall the CBC news site having an incidental mention of this.

I think it just re-enforces what should be clear to everyone:

To first approximation, if it is done online, it is public

Unless the user takes steps to protect their privacy, (encryption, VPN,
ip anonymization...) expect your activities to be communicated to the
world.  It is a mistake to think that someone out there is going to
protect your privacy for you.

It would be nice if IP communications had the same legal standing as
old-style telephone and postal communications, but that has never been
case.  And probably never will be.