[kwlug-disc] Canadian judge rules no privacy for online tasks

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Feb 18 10:39:40 EST 2009

A friend on the other side on the planet sent me this, from a USA
source.*Canadian
judge: No warrant needed to see ISP logs**A Superior Court in Ontario,
Canada has ruled that IP addresses are akin to your home address, and
therefore people have no expectation of privacy when it comes to their
online activities being accessed by law enforcement. This means that, in
Canada, police can potentially request information from your ISP about
online activities, and can do so without a warrant.
*
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/02/canadian-judge-no-expectation-of-privacy-in-online-tasks.ars

Either it did not get reported locally, or I missed it completely.

I think this is very troubling.

Thoughts?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin