[kwlug-disc] so ... what's your opinion on linux anti-virus software?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Feb 5 22:44:57 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 09:20:52PM -0500, unsolicited wrote:
> I think you have many things wrong here. Playing devils advocate ...

Thanks for your response.

I should have been more clear about my first reply.  I wasn't really
replying to Robert's specific question, but more to the thought processes
of his friend, and I didn't make that clear.  Sorry about that.

I was arguing from the point of view of a user switching his own personal
computer from Windows to Linux.  Perhaps my post makes more sense
in that light.

If you still would have written everything you did when just talking about
a single user's PC, switching from Windows to Linux, well, then I have
a nice semi-rant of my own that I almost posted before realizing our
different topics. :-)  I think we ended up talking about two
different things, due to my lack of clarity.

To be clear, my views:

        - for a single user, virus scanning isn't really needed on Linux,
                since he should be learning his own machine... this
                does not include users that have to pound away at a
                machine for work... those users truly don't care

        - for an admin, virus scanning is just one of those plugs in the
                dike, and a valuable asset to security... others have
                already answered that question better than I can

- Chris