[kwlug-disc] Fwd: Canadian Gov RFI on FOSS

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 5 15:53:56 EST 2009

--- On Thu, 2/5/09, Raul Suarez <rarsa at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The main question is: Should ethics be left out? Should it
> be just a pragmatic response or also a philosophically one?

I think the two are linked, personally. It is possible to highlight
pragmatic advantages (e.g. being able to customize code and write
custom plugins) and then explain how the philosophical licencing
permits those pragmatic advantages.

However, I am a bit confused. People are talking about writing
comments. But is it not the case that only companies and organizations
that produce free software are supposed to participate?

0. I am not actively contributing code to any free software projects.
Am I prohibited from participating?

1. Raul writes code for Puppy Linux, which is not based in Canada. He
does so on a volunteer basis. Is he prohibited?

2. CLUE is an advocacy group for FLOSS that does not (as far as I
know) produce software. Is it prohibited?

- Paul