[kwlug-disc] Arduino: hardware hacking project

Cedric Puddy cedric at thinkers.org
Sun Feb 1 23:17:29 EST 2009

Hi Everyone,

I've got one, and a (currently broken) sim card reader as well that
was trying to interface to the serial port of the Arduino (until I
determined that it was broken, and therefore not going to be talking
to anything until I replaced a couple of components...).

I picked one up at the last HOPE, and managed to compile a couple
*very* basic programs for it before becoming distracted by other
concerns.

When it comes to real world interfacing, this stuff is simply blowing
the barriers to entry right to smithereens -- I've done old school
stuff (parallel port interfacing mainly), and therefore have an
appreciation for just how much basic clutter the Arduino & pals take
care of.

I would highly recommend playing with it -- it's cheap n' cheerful,
and limited only by your free time, imagination, and ability to cope
with basic electronics.

	All the Best,

	-Cedric