[kwlug-disc] Arduino: hardware hacking project

Daniel Allen dada.da at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 18:27:29 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 5:13 PM,  <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> Daniel said:
>> The local Perl Mongers have been expanding our interests a bit lately;
>> we've had talks on Python and other interpreted languages, and in
>> March, we hope to get into a hardware hacking project.  Just 'cause.
>> I was wondering if anyone was interested in going in on an order on an
>> Arduino: (assembled, for $30 USD)
>
> [ ... ]
>
>> I'm looking to work my way up to building something like this:
>> http://blog.russnelson.com/opensource/reusing-floppy-stepper-motors.html
>>
>> ...If you have a better source for Arduinos, or want to recommend in
>> favour of a different microcontroller system, we're all ears...
>> (though it's hard to argue against arduino; it's got open-source
>> linux/mac/windows developer environment, and this model comes with a
>> USB port for easy programming...)
>
> Right up my alley!  I predict that the 'mongers will have a great time
> with the Arduinos.  I've enjoyed playing with stepper motors and
> controllers and can recommend it as a very entertaining time-sink.  I've
> not played with the Arduino but have heard good things about it.

I'm looking forward to it. It's funny that you're the second person to
say "I've heard good things but I've never actually played with the
Arduino." (Lemme know if you want one though...)

> The setup you see on Russ' blog is a cool way to get started.  He's an
> OpenStreetMap guy, so you know he knows what he is talking about.  :-)

Heh. Russ is an amazingly diverse guy, he shows up all over the place
and it's always funny to discover the other circles he travels in.

> Once you have a stepping motor spinning the natural next step is to make
> two stepping motors spin and cause something to move around your desk.
> This is the natural order of things.  Don't try to fight it.

Oh, I won't.  I won't.  (The dog may try to, but I won't).

> Then you may find that the floppy disk stepper motors aren't as easy to
> attach to things as you would like.  You'll want to try some other motors,
> including servo- and gear-motors.  Check out
> http://www.solarbotics.com/motors_accessories/

Thanks... Hm. Hoping to stick with re-purposed free stuff here.
I was thinking about hacking an analog clock, too. (counter-lock, anyone?...)

> You'll also want to confirm the current limit on the Arduino outputs.

Thanks!  -D