[kwlug-disc] non-compete agreement.

Thu Dec 31 19:54:52 EST 2009

On December 31, 2009 11:04:32 am Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
>  The older I get and the more business experience I get, the more likely I
>  am to consult a lawyer.  I used to be of the attitude that I should be
>  able to read and understand agreements and I do still read them.  But the
>  lawyer's going to tell my legal stuff that extend beyond the agreement.
>  For example, you and I sign an agreement that says you can't work in
>  training after you leave my employment.  We can both agree to it - but a
>  lawyer will tell you it's unenforceable.  That's not in the agreement but
>  is relevant to it.  It's the entire legal environment that comes in to
>  play.

That has been my experience as well, and why I don't pay too much attention to
what is in these idiotic documents. If it gets me the work and my lawyer says
it's unenforceable, I will have no problem agreeing to it. I find that arguing
over its enforceability is not only pointless and wastes time, but can cost
you work as well.

-A.