[kwlug-disc] non-compete agreement.

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Thu Dec 31 12:48:39 EST 2009

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 12/31/2009 11:04:32 AM:

> From: "Insurance Squared Inc." <gcooke at insurancesquared.com>
> The older I get and the more business experience I get, the more
> likely I am to consult a lawyer.  I used to be of the attitude that
> I should be able to read and understand agreements and I do still
> read them.  But the lawyer's going to tell my legal stuff that
> extend beyond the agreement.  For example, you and I sign an
> agreement that says you can't work in training after you leave my
> employment.  We can both agree to it - but a lawyer will tell you
> it's unenforceable.  That's not in the agreement but is relevant to
> it.  It's the entire legal environment that comes in to play.

I agree with Glen on this one. There is a trend that I'm seeing with
lawyers, at lest ours, where they are writing things in English. Our
employment agreement which includes an NDA, and non-compete and
non-solicit, etc is long but human readable.

Our lawyers produce legal documents that are concise and include relevant
points that I (or we) didn't think of. I can't write them as concise and
so mine would actually be less understandable.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.
564 Weber St. N. Unit 12
Waterloo, ON N2L 5C6