[kwlug-disc] [Phoronix] Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, 64-bit Kernel Benchmarks

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Dec 31 11:30:14 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 11:12 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Another aspect of interest in this sort of thing, as I asked in the past on
> this list is - for today's < 4 GB hardware, e.g. netbooks, are there
> pros/cons to 32/64 going forward.
>
> I tried XP64 at one point and quickly tossed it - all my current (32 bit)
> programs required (a) re-installation (after conversion) - I had to go find
> 64-bit setup.exe's, and (b) didn't run. Eff that.
>
> So, I was concerned and asked here if there were any issues of that nature
> in Linux, going forward.

As I mentioned before, I have been using Ubuntu Server Edition 8.04 LTS 64
bits since it came out and it has worked fine on.

For desktops, I am typing this on a laptop with Kubuntu 9.10 64-bit with
Firefox, Opera, Skype, Chromium, OpenOffice, ...etc. running without issues.
Flash works, but is sometimes stable if left running for long.

Again, as long as you use the repositories, things should be transparent.
But even though some apps were installed from third party repos, and some
(e.g. Skype) from .debs, there are no issues.

Sample size of 1, so YMMV.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.