[kwlug-disc] [Phoronix] Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, 64-bit Kernel Benchmarks

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Dec 31 11:12:54 EST 2009

Another aspect of interest in this sort of thing, as I asked in the
past on this list is - for today's < 4 GB hardware, e.g. netbooks, are
there pros/cons to 32/64 going forward.

I tried XP64 at one point and quickly tossed it - all my current (32
bit) programs required (a) re-installation (after conversion) - I had
to go find 64-bit setup.exe's, and (b) didn't run. Eff that.

So, I was concerned and asked here if there were any issues of that
nature in Linux, going forward.

John came back and indicated the 64-bit installs came with, or
dependencies caused, 32-bit (<thunk>?) libraries to come down, keeping
everything happy.

So, my conclusion were, and I'd sure like to hear if they're wrong:
(a) over time 64-bit will take over (be the norm / no 32-bit
workarounds), even on these small machines, (b) 32-bit will continue
to work and there's no harm, and no real user-perceivable significant
performance degradation to running 64-bit on these < 4 GB machines
that can't really use the 64-bit.

If these perceptions are wrong, do please pipe up.