[kwlug-disc] What does kwlug.org mean to you? (Was Re: why not pick a kwlug project for the web site?)

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Dec 30 15:19:57 EST 2009

So, KWLUG, below are two opinions on what kwlug.org means to them. If
I'm not misinterpreting, it approximately summarizes as the totality
of kwlug are the meetings, and the website exactly suits those
necessary needs. And there's the e-mail lists.

It's your site.

If you feel differently, speak up. There will seldom be a better time.

I would suggest, however, that to Richard's point: If you have
significantly different desires for kwlug.org, you'd probably better
be willing to step up and admin it.

I suspect, but don't know, if someone wanted to set up a wiki (or
something), wiki.kwlug.org or kwlug.org/wiki could be set up to
peacefully coexist with the current content. And links in blogs made
to it, sort of thing.

And, if you wanted to set something up, such as Bob's suggested
favourite Linux <-> Windows apps list, the admins would probably
cooperate if you asked nicely. i.e. If you needed a non-standard root
(?) node type thingie / formatting.

But you do have to speak up.

With regard to the library (FYI/FWIW:
- before it's given away, perhaps the donators should be consulted.
After all, they specifically donated it to kwlug.
- Charles has explicitly stated in the past - if someone would like a
particular book in the library, post to the list and he'll try to
bring it to the next meeting for you. He's also indicated that
everyone is more than welcome to stop by the Working Centre at any
time to pick up a library book. i.e. Even though the entire library
can't be carted around to every meeting, it is accessible and
available to all - if a bit awkwardly at the moment.
- there has been some discussion in the past regarding getting the
list of books up on kwlug.org since the last site revamp. There
doesn't appear to be any drupal add-on of decent functionality, let
alone presently being maintained. (Last time I looked. I think, at
least, Charles, Khalid, and I all looked. There were probably others.)
There are other sites, such as librarything.com - although they appear
to have some really cool functionality with regard to books and
collections (e.g. ISBN lookup), nothing I came across added the
library elements of lending.  If someone knows of something good, do
please post.