[kwlug-disc] Presentation topics and descriptions

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Dec 26 11:53:15 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 3:04 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Richard Weait wrote:
>
>> We've been batting around a couple of ideas regarding who is KWLUG
>> and who is the audience for KWLUG.
>>
>> I suggest that the web site kwlug.org is the most-public face of
>> KWLUG and that the Upcoming Meetings page is the main point of
>> interest on the web site.
>
>  which is, i think, unfortunate, since why shouldn't people come to
> the KWLUG page for info *other* than just meeting times and places?

I think it _is_ fortunate.  I think we can do it better as noted
earlier.  I think meeting times and places are exactly what kwlug.org
should be/do.  I think the audience is "people new to Linux and in the
region or new to the region and into Linux."

I think the "conversion" to borrow Glenn's / Bill's term, is
interested people showing up for meetings.

> is there anything else that can be used to drive traffic to kwlug.org?
> why not regular features, or columns, or tips and tricks?

There are other places for features, columns, tips and tricks.
Nothing stopping anybody from blogging those things on kwlug.org
though.

I think it would be nice to have more of the presentations on kwlug.
I'm not the only one who has failed to include my slides.  Do
presentation notes / slides count as things to drive traffic?

>  why not the same thing for kwlug?  if that site is being used solely
> for meeting announcements, then i think it's being sadly
> under-utilized.

Suggest an audience / mission / goal that we should be serving as KWLUG.

> what else can be added?  and when new content *is*
> added, then kwlug twitter is used to announce it with a short link to
> it.

There should be an RSS feed for meeting agendas.  How did I break that?