[kwlug-disc] Wireless separation? (Was: Re: Wireless for January)

Eric Gerlach eric+kwlug at gerlach.ca
Wed Dec 23 23:05:28 EST 2009

I happen to know Cedric is out of town until New Years, but I can fill in a
couple gaps.

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 08:41:28PM -0500, unsolicited wrote:
> Cedric:
>
> I remember you spoke to this / presented on it at one point.
>
> Do you have any suggestions / guidelines for best separating
> multiple wireless networks?
>
> Seems to me, IIRC, that channels 2, 7, and 11, are the strongest, or
> something. Is there one channel that tends to be less used than
> others that we should use?

It's channels 1, 6, and 11, but yeah.  The reason the channels in the middle
aren't useful is that 1, 6, and 11 are the only distinct set of frequencies.
The others overlap two of those.

A quick Googling finds this image to explain:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pzC_7PLtN-0/RjZEpJA_L7I/AAAAAAAAAR8/y_iJfjgqYfs/s320/WiFi+Channels+1.gif

> If the host premise also has wireless, is there one better way than
> another to maximize throughput, minimize interference?

Use some sniffer to find out what channels are in use, then find the least
overlapping one.  I think that's all you can do, but maybe there's something
else that Cedric knows that I don't.

Cheers,

Eric