[kwlug-disc] Wireless for January

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Dec 23 20:35:13 EST 2009

I have been thinking the same - i.e. by having wireless that goes
up/down with the meetings, we can have a constant for kwlug meetings,
and host sites need only give their access parameters to the kwlug
wireless meister (of the night?).

The hard links could also be used by any that need same. e.g. Raul's
laptop in December transmitting the open meeting, and perhaps his test
victims. I gather the wireless itself was overwhelmed at the time.
(If additional distance / cable length, or switches, are needed, they
can be added as required.)

Pick a suitably obscure subnet, publish the details (web page?),
except for the password, etc. I think a kwlug well known / obvious
password is appropriate, and whatever scheme has the least overhead.

At a meeting, put the password up on a whiteboard or something.

This would also allow hosts that have concerns to implement firewall
rules by subnet. Or they go on 'our' router? As / If premise hosts
have concerns.

Granted: Hard links may well be outside these rules / come directly
off the premise hosts' net.

Paul Nijjar wrote, On 12/23/2009 5:21 PM:
> I have an old wireless router (Linksys BEFW11S4) that I am thinking of
> connection at 97 Victoria for January's meeting. Should I configure it
> to use WPA security (with a weak passphrase) or should I leave it
> unsecured?
.
.
.