[kwlug-disc] kwlug on twitter?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Dec 22 20:51:04 EST 2009

Chris Frey writes:

> Perhaps this is good advice, but it is also akin to recommending that
> everyone register all forms of their domain names "just in case."

One is sufficient, so that if a spoof site does show up the real site
will already be established. Hopefully the real site has greater
Google-juice than the spoof site (which does imply that a modicum of
maintenance on the real site is necessary, if only to keep your cell
number up-to-date).

By the same token, only one identity in each of the major social network
sites is necessary.  You wouldn't register "Chris Frey", "Christopher
Frey" and "C. Q. Frey" all on Facebook.

But social networks are a moving target, since these sites rapidly wax
and wane in popularity:  SixDegrees supplanted by Friendster, then
MySpace, then Facebook, and now Twitter is the darling.  And somewhere
in there is Bebo, Frappr, Orkut, Habbo Hotel and others.  And then
there's the other services that make use of identities: Craigslist,
Flickr, Del.icio.us, Reddit, Slashdot, Yahoo, Google...  Not to mention
Wikipedia, Blogspot, Wordpress, LiveJournal.  And Gitorious, Launchpad,
GetSatisfaction. And on, and on.

> I think it is better to include your contact info in a bundle, so that
> if people see one, they see them all.

I agree. Your own Web site, complete with vCards, hCards, XFN and FOAF,
under your own control (ie. not Facebook, Google or any of the others),
and provide links to the various non-authoritative sites on which you
maintain an identity.

> I can't keep up with every new web 2.0 site out there
> that wants a login.

Oh, for universal adoption of OpenID and OAuth.

> Registering all of the following only benefits the registrars:

Take a place at the end of the line:  Lawyers, telecom providers,
government.

--Bob.