[kwlug-disc] communitech?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Dec 21 14:18:40 EST 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> if someone *were* able to wangle a nice location like that, i suggest
> that that would put added pressure on KWLUG to come up with some
> *really* snappy and professional presentations.
>
>   and by "professional," i'm suggesting presentations that start
> (close to) on time, move right along, and take no longer than, say, 75
> minutes.  and possibly involving a speaker who dresses business
> casual, perhaps even with a tie. :-)

Please, no.

KWLUG is a group of people interested in Linux. Not necessarily
professionals, not professional speakers. Requiring *anything* other
than enthusiasm is detrimental. I would rather listen to someone
speaking, rambling, muttering, going overtime if they have someting
interesting to say. I don't care how they're dressed, or whether it
takes them a long time to say it.

For some presentations it's a good thing for other members to be able to
ask questions, and get into debates on some small minutiae. Some of the
best presentations I've seen are the ones that are derailed completely
from the original topic, but with great audience participation (not so
much at KWLUG, but other UGs I've been to)

It's already scary enough for many people to participate. Adding the
irrelevant burden of a dress code, time limit and punctuality, and KWLUG
will lose a large pool of talent. I have no qualms about wearing a
business suit for a client, but KWLUG is a group of friends.

> why not ask communitech what kind of
> talks *its* members want to see.  if you're going to ask for their
> facilities, offer in exchange to let them poll their membership and
> give a presentation on what *they* would like to hear.

Please, no.

That wouldn't be a presentation for KWLUG. We're a user group, not a
show-for-hire. We do the things we want to do, not things others want to
do, or things others want us to do.

I'll go to a meeting anywhere, a church, a bar, or a community room, but
KWLUG shouldn't have to change its makeup, character or focus to make
use of it. It may be necessary to *define* the makeup, character or
focus of KWLUG in order to get the use of the church, bar or room, and
wea're doing some of that right now.

And the choice of venue may change the character of KWLUG slightly
(losing/attracting people who like/dislike churches, bars or community
rooms), but that's a natural progress, not one imposed by outsiders.

--Bob.