[kwlug-disc] Company sponsorship for meeting place?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Mon Dec 21 14:19:58 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 09:46:47AM -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> Here is another crazy idea: can we get companies to pitch in for getting us
> a rented place? Individuals can pitch in if they want to, but are not under
> any obligation to do so.

I'd say this is a good idea as well.  I'm not sure we're at this point
yet, but it is certainly an option.

As an example:

        Kitchener Public Library, Main Branch, Schneider Room
        http://kpl.org/_images/pages/about/rentals/SchneiderRoom_250.jpg

        Cost: $60 for 2 hours
        Parking: poor
        Location: Queen street, good

        Total for the year:  60 * 12 = 720

        Large sponsor route: 720 / $200 = 4 sponsors

        I'm sure we could find 4 such sponsors a year.

Anyone who wanted could chip in to help the large sponsors, no pressure.

If we limit the money factor to only once a year, perhaps at Christmas,
then there won't be the recurring "icky money" issue to distract anyone.

If we can find trustworthy folks to run the Secret Cabal, we should be
able to find trustworthy folks to pay for the room regularly out of
a pre-built fund.  I'd be happy donating to this, even without becoming
an official non-profit.

- Chris