[kwlug-disc] (In progress) kwlug candidate meeting site sourced.

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 09:00:04 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 3:52 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>  why *hasn't* some local company offered to be a monthly meeting
> space for kwlug?  sure, it requires some sacrifice on the part of that
> company but, on the other hand, there would seem to be some benefit in
> it for them -- perhaps a convenient venue for *their own* people to
> learn something new about linux on a monthly basis.  wouldn't that
> have enough value for said company to think, "sure, we can do this
> once a month."

Most either don't know anything about KWLUG (and you're right, that
could be indicative of something--we don't advertise much), or if they
do, they almost certainly don't know we're looking for venues.  We'd
have to ask.

I've considered approaching my employer to use our lunch room, but I
get occasional anti-FOSS vibes from certain levels of management (free
software competes with our offerings) and I don't think the security
hoops we'd have to jump through would be appealing to the group as a
whole.  Thinking back to previous employers, I think the situation
would be similar.

The Communitech's Agile P2P group tried to get associated companies to
host their meetings, but it seemed like it was always a tough sell.
And this is for something that companies are paying consultants
considerable amounts of money for training.  No company ever
approached them.  It only ever happened if one of the group went and
approached their employer, and even then it didn't happen that often.
It looks like we've settled back into meeting at the Accelerator
Centre.

(Incidentally, the Accelerator Centre is one of the places I
considered inquiring into, but it seems overbooked a lot of the time.
I can still ask, but I kind of like the ideas that have already been
put forward).

Darcy.