[kwlug-disc] (In progress) kwlug candidate meeting site sourced.

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Dec 19 21:45:09 EST 2009

Raul Suarez wrote, On 12/19/2009 8:47 PM:
> --- On Sat, 12/19/09, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>
>> That's not what's going on (definition). I'm only seeking that
>> what we already do, and want to continue doing, be visible - so
>> that it's clearly evident and visible that we should be granted
>> the space.
>
> I'm confused, if you agree that we are already doing what you are
> proposing, then what's the purpose of the thread?
>
> Of course, being the eclectic bunch we are, I agree that I don't
> need to see the purpose of the thread. I won't even try to set
> rules to the posts in this thread. We've been doing OK without
> them.

(-:

As has been happening a lot lately, and 'tis the nature of the beast,
threads get hijacked all over the place, and thread topics
get intermixed.

This thread started as a mere announcement of a potential new meeting
site being worked on, perhaps for space approval then consideration by
the lug. And my best guess as to the next steps.

As part of that announcement, I said that it likely the sponsor would
want their members to participate. So the question becomes how to make
visible to them, and thus really easy for them to say "Yes!", that we
are already new user friendly. (Heck, we don't even know that their
members aren't already participants.)

As has been said in many threads/messages, we already make welcome and
encourage new members. (Not that we've run any membership drives or
anything.) If you've lived kwlug, you know this. You know it through
participation, not through any overtly visible indicators. So, this
part of the question becomes, how do you demonstrate to a body that
hasn't lived kwlug that we are member friendly, so that it seems
self-evident that they should say "Yes!"

Crossing threads, this is part of why I suggested a 10-minute Q&A
section - it makes visible what we already do and collects some of the
minutiae (condenses the vapour into a solid) that we can point to and
say "Yes! We are newcomer friendly. See, there are opportunities for
questions and audience participation."

Even if all that is is a well identified and visible entry point and
bridge into the list. (And avoids having to try to explain to members
of a committee, all of whom are not likely candidate kwlug members,
what the heck an e-mail list is.)