[kwlug-disc] android phone, anyone?

Fri Dec 18 07:23:22 EST 2009

On December 17, 2009 08:17:30 pm R. Brent Clements wrote:
> Bell has a couple of "world edition" phones that do GSM if you put a
> card in them. I heard that rogers spent millions of dollars finding a
> way to detect if a Rogers Sim card was in a non-Rogers phone. The
> solution was apparently hidden firmware that periodically phones home.

I hate Rogers as much as the next guy, but I do not believe this is true. I
have used many non-Rogers phones on Rogers network, and have used unlocked
Rogers devices on other carriers (with the other carrier's SIM).

It works just fine, as it should. I do not believe there is any truth to this
rumour.

-A.