[kwlug-disc] Decrease boot time

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Thu Dec 17 12:13:00 EST 2009

I get the impression most of boot time is spent waiting for reads from
the hard drive.  I got a solid-state drive (SSD) for my laptop and the
difference compared to a 5400RPM SATA drive is remarkable.  I have not
timed it, but boot time is cut in half - or more.  Software tweaks might
get you an extra second here or there, but faster hardware is the only
way to make a big difference.

The latest ubuntu also makes a point of quick boot times.

Win7 boots quickly.  It is all the crap-ware loaded on the machine that
takes forever to start up.