[kwlug-disc] Desired Meeting Location Characteristics [Was Re: New locations brainstorming]

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 16 20:50:05 EST 2009

--- On Wed, 12/16/09, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
> What did I get wrong above? What did I miss?
I'll start with this

> And kwlug will have to change to some extent.

I don't know why the search for a space has to turn to an existential discussion.

I like breaking things when I know I can put them back together or go by without them.

In this case I don't think it's worth fixing something that's not broken.

The tricks/tips/show and tell, is currently happening before, during and after every meeting.

> We also need to know what sort of meeting space we'd like
> to see. Which is what I'd like to open for discussion in
> this thread.

I'm with you on this one.

I like all the items the "wish list". The only one I disagree with is collecting pizza money at the start.

> There's another aspect that I think we should also discuss
> - in essence, 'professionalism' vs. community.

I personally don't think they are exclusive. I thought of Manulife not because its swank, but because it meets 90% of the things you listed on your wish list.

For professionalism I have my daily job, for me the KWLUG is a hobbyist club, not a professional membership.

Having said that, all the presentations I remember have been quite well organized with the presenters coming well prepared and doing an excellent job, sometimes bringing things that I can use in my professional life.

> I'm hoping to start a discussion here of what KWLUG would
> like. So that what we want, and what potential hosts might
> need, both get met.

I personally still like the Working Centre (I feel it warm and welcoming). I also liked the Heuter, my coolheaded reflection tells me that it was all a big miscommunication. I am sure that if we wanted we could get to an agreement with management. Understand what they expect, and explain that some months are better than others.

Bottom line for me is that any suitable space will be OK as the KWLUG is the people, not the space.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
http://rarsa.blogspot.com/