[kwlug-disc] top 10 command line commands

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Tue Dec 15 09:13:09 EST 2009

I want to write a post on the top 10 linux command line commands.  (for
two reasons.  One, cause it's useful.  Two, because I only have a top 2,
so I believe learning another 8 is going to help me work better :).

Here's the top 2 of my top 10:
grep -R string *   (find a string in a directory tree - useful for
finding files with bits of code)
perl -p -i -e 's/stringa/stringb/g' *   (search and replace.  yeah, I
know it's perl. I use it frequently).

What would your top 10 command line commands be?  Ones that you use, are
useful and flexible?

g.