[kwlug-disc] DailyTech - Concerned About Privacy? You're Probably up to no Good, Says Google CEO

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Dec 12 00:03:03 EST 2009

Lori Paniak wrote, On 12/11/2009 11:09 PM:
> I am guessing that a good, reliable DNS service that doesn't pull any
> funny business is something one has to pay for - like any service.

Assuming this is possible. i.e. I suspect any second level or higher
DNS server doesn't even have a facility to charge one-off customers to
let them use their DNS servers.

And charging for DNS use is probably verbotten. It sort of being
contrary to the whole idea of DNS.

> What are the best options?  If I'm at home, it seems the best is my
> ISP's (Bell) DNS.  What if I'm on the road?  Or want to use it for
> commercial purposes?

If you don't have a commercial account, likely your terms of use don't
permit you to use the connection for commercial purposes, DNS or
otherwise.

> As fallback I use 4.2.2.x, but I want to minimize abusing of "public"
> resources.
>
> I really dislike OpenDNS grabbing invalid lookups.  It is intrusive, but
> that's their business model.  I'd rather pay to support a better model.

Me, I just want the raw error message back as quickly as possible - so
I can correct my typos and get on with it. No ads, and particularly,
'did you actually mean ...'

I suppose you could just trust the DHCP DNS settings of whatever
network you're on at that moment, Lori. Or run a local caching only
nameserver that picks up on DHCP's DNS. Perhaps even with some logic
to use a preferred DNS if at home, and if you find some networks send
you to goofy DNS' (e.g. OpenDNS), some logic to put some preferences
around that when on those networks. (via proxy rules?)

	Some nets, though, WPL and/or Starbuck's (?), force you through their
DNS - their networks not letting you pass requests to port 53 out
directly.

Perhaps always using VPN or otherwise tunnelling, has some advantages?
Perhaps overkill, even if these public wireless networks pass your VPN
traffic, but if you have sufficient other reasons to run such a
connection, maybe it isn't overkill in some cases.

.
.
.
>>>  --- On Fri, 12/11/09, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
.
.
.

Well ... assuming one's current DNS is fast enough. (I, like Paul, ran
into Roger's DNS strangeness, so my issue was trying to identify the
culprit and eliminate the strangeness, at the time.)

Khalid also made this same point in an earlier thread that speed, if
reasonably sufficient, becomes irrelevant. Assuming reasonable caching
of lookups on your local computer. [It does seem, however, knee-jerk
intuitive to question speed, initially.]

The problem being, at what point does this DNS fall into that latter
category, and how soon will we know when it happens.

.
.
.
.
.
.

Huh? What are you referring to? Link? Sounds like another bit of juicy
industry gossip I've been blissfully ignorant of until now. Thanks so
much Paul.