[kwlug-disc] Benefits of using alternate firmware on Linksys WRT54G

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Dec 9 23:39:34 EST 2009

Thanks for posting this Khalid. Lori had me going there for a minute.

I was all set to sing different words to the telus "I want a
hippopotamus for Christmas commercial".

Anybody know ... on these OpenWRT ddWRT boxes ... is a USB port
hubbable? e.g. SD reader + external hard drive + printer + etc.?

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 12/09/2009 10:42 PM:
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I recall some issues with it and dug up the Slashdot article
>
> http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/09/10/05/227208/Netgear-WNR3500L-Open-Source-Router-Announced
>
> Netgear has myopenrouter.com <http://myopenrouter.com> which is a good
> initiative, but has some caveats:
>
> 1. Some closed drivers included, so loading the stock open source stuff
> may not work (Broadcom binary blob, Linux 2.4 only, ...etc.)
>
> 2. WPA and WPA2 does not work.
.
.
.