[kwlug-disc] Benefits of using alternate firmware on Linksys WRT54G

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Dec 9 22:42:45 EST 2009

Thanks for the info.

I recall some issues with it and dug up the Slashdot article

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/09/10/05/227208/Netgear-WNR3500L-Open-Source-Router-Announced

Netgear has myopenrouter.com which is a good initiative, but has some
caveats:

1. Some closed drivers included, so loading the stock open source stuff may
not work (Broadcom binary blob, Linux 2.4 only, ...etc.)

2. WPA and WPA2 does not work.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Lori Paniak
<ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>wrote:

> The next-great-thing in open source routers appears to be the Netgear
> WNR3500L:
>

> http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNR3500L.aspx
> >

> Wireless N, smart, lots of RAM, USB2 , a gigabit switch and supported by
> all your favourite firmware.
>
> Does Santa do back orders?
>
> http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=45501
>

> On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 21:44 -0500, unsolicited wrote:
> >
> > Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 12/09/2009 7:47 PM:
> > >     I do not run it but I have long been interested enough to pay
> > >     attention when I see stuff on it go by. (Like this thread.) The
> last
> > >     time I considered firing it up I choose to hold off pending
> 802.11n.
> > >

> > > I am exactly in that same situation: reading about it and waiting for
> N.
> > >
> > > Anyone has recommendations (Linksys or otherwise) for a router that
> > > supports OpenWRT, has a USB port for printer (and storage) and is
> 802.11N?
> > >
> > > All the ones I see in BestBuy and FutureShop flyers are not fully
> > > supported yet.
> >
> > I'm hoping for a SD card slot as well, although USB would do it. Make
> > that two USB ports. One for this and a spare. For config backup and a
> > bit of storage for the extras.
> >
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014338&cid=FMD.434
> .
> > Wonderful back pocket toy. Some versions/models have a GB or more on
> > board as well - looks like two drives. Enough for a computer on a
> > stick distro in a pinch. And a place to put the data.
> >
> > I'm also hoping for an eSata port.  a la central network / media
> > storage port. Or for that on board web / ftp server in a DMZ.
> >
> > Sometimes convergence gives me a head ache with the possibilities.
> > Which is part of why I pay attention to the OpenWRT and the like
> > threads. (And I'm always looking for good diagnostic tools to put in
> > the tool chest.)

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com