[kwlug-disc] small biz accounting packages on linux

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Dec 9 21:57:10 EST 2009

If you want to go that route, there is SQL Ledger. It is a double entry
PostgreSQL web based system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL-Ledger
My brother runs his business on it.

A fork from it is Ledger SMB http://www.ledgersmb.org/ The fork was
basically to fix some bugs and open up development a bit.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:51 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Seems to me I've come across web based accounting solutions. Is that at all
> reasonable / viable for you? t'would presumably be cross-platform for you.
>

> Insurance Squared Inc. wrote, On 12/09/2009 11:42 AM:
>
>> I'm spending  the morning (day?) trying to rebuild my wife's business
>> computer on which windows is giving some bizarre errors.  Assuming I can get
>> the thing to boot, the first thing I'm going to do is get a current snapshot
>> of all the data, then I'm putting her on linux.
>>

>> Now, the only app she's running that requires windows is our business
>> accounting software.  We're using MYOB (precursor to Quickbooks).  It seems
>> like it may be a fortuitous time time move that over to linux as well.  I
>> may end up running wine or virtualbox to get myob running on linux - but has
>> anyone run decent linux accounting software lately?  Something comparable to
>> quickbooks?  Something that will handle a small business realistically, with
>> lots of invoicing, bank statements, payroll, multiple currencies, and so on?
>>  Last  I looked a couple of years ago everything seemed to have substantial
>> flaws.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com