[kwlug-disc] small biz accounting packages on linux

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Dec 9 20:11:56 EST 2009

> Now, the only app she's running that requires windows is our business
> accounting software.  We're using MYOB (precursor to Quickbooks).  It seems
> like it may be a fortuitous time time move that over to linux as well.  I
> may end up running wine or virtualbox to get myob running on linux -

I think this is the safest way at least for a while. So, she is not jolted
out of her area of comfort for everything.

First the desktop, then the app.

> but has anyone run decent linux accounting software lately?  Something
> comparable to quickbooks?  Something that will handle a small business
> realistically, with lots of invoicing, bank statements, payroll, multiple
> currencies, and so on?  Last  I looked a couple of years ago everything
> seemed to have substantial flaws.

Not sure if anything compares to Quickbooks.

You use KDE, so give kmymoney2 a shot. It is Qt based, and hence not
Gnomish. It is in Kubuntu's repositories.

>From your list it can:
- Download bank statements
- Does multiple currencies

It does not do invoicing (we use Freshbooks for that), nor payroll (an
accountant calculates it for us once a year and we do it via bank transfer).

An integrated solution would be nice, but so far I don't know of one for
Linux.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.