[kwlug-disc] New locations brainstorming

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 9 12:41:15 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 11:16:43AM -0500, Adam Glauser wrote:

> WPL:
> ------
> James J. Brown Auditorium: $40/hr, capacity 75
> Projector rental - $50.00
>
> KPL
> ------
> Hambilin East room: $40 for 2hrs, capacity 35
> Schneider Room:     $60 for 2hrs, capacity 60
> Projector rental: $100 + tax

We can probably arrange to bring our own projectors, if that is
allowed.

The KPL is probably not a great long-term candidate. It is undergoing
construction soon and my understanding is that they will be closing
all community booking rooms for evening meetings once the construction
starts.

Two other places I have thought of (but have not investigated) are
Kitchener City Hall and the Faculty of Social Work building on Duke
St. I know that City Hall does charge fees.

Another group I used to be involved with held community events at the
Faculty of Social Work building. They have a fairly large room that
would be nice for KWLUG, but in my experience it can be tricky getting
access after hours. It also appears that any Faculty events would take
precedence over KWLUG, which could leave us in awkward spots.

Here is a link:
https://www.wlu.ca/forms_detail.php?grp_id=30&frm_id=1072

I have not contacted the contacts on this page (and will probably not
do so this afternoon).

As for KWartzlab: it might work, but I would not want to make
presumptions. In addition to size constraints they operate on a
different model than KWLUG, so I would definitely expect that there
would (or should) be some rental fee issues.

- Paul