[kwlug-disc] small biz accounting packages on linux

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Wed Dec 9 11:42:54 EST 2009

I'm spending  the morning (day?) trying to rebuild my wife's business
computer on which windows is giving some bizarre errors.  Assuming I can
get the thing to boot, the first thing I'm going to do is get a current
snapshot of all the data, then I'm putting her on linux.

Now, the only app she's running that requires windows is our business
accounting software.  We're using MYOB (precursor to Quickbooks).  It
seems like it may be a fortuitous time time move that over to linux as
well.  I may end up running wine or virtualbox to get myob running on
linux - but has anyone run decent linux accounting software lately?
Something comparable to quickbooks?  Something that will handle a small
business realistically, with lots of invoicing, bank statements,
payroll, multiple currencies, and so on?  Last  I looked a couple of
years ago everything seemed to have substantial flaws.

g.