[kwlug-disc] Benefits of using alternate firmware on Linksys WRT54G

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 9 10:39:18 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 10:52:07AM -0500, Adam Glauser wrote:
> Colin Mackay wrote:
>> I recommend just trying it, you can always download the old flash for
>> your router from Linksys and re-flash it.
>
> There are other people involved whom I need to convince as well, and I
> think a performance argument might be more convincing than a stability
> argument.

I don't know much about the stability side. In my limited experience I
found myself drawn to OpenWRT because of the feature set. Our
router has been stable, but it probably is no more stable than with
the regular firmware.

You can do things like increase antenna strength more easily with the
open firmwares, I think.

- Paul