[kwlug-disc] 10 Linux features Windows should have by default | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sat Dec 5 23:39:28 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 11:05 -0500, Andrew Kohlsmith (Mailing List
Account) wrote:

> dmidecode

Also note that Linux itself has dmi support now. You can just poke
around in /sys/class/dmi and grab relavent information. This is useful
as dmidecode needs to be run as root (access to /dev/mem, so *hopefully*
needs to be run as root :)

$ cat /sys/class/dmi/id/product_name
MacBook3,1

I've found supporting hardware to be much more time consuming in
Windows. What driver do I need to go manually download somewhere for
"Unknown Device" to work? 99% of the time hardware works on Linux. For
that 1% when it doesn't, I at least know what hardware I have to look it
up.

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca