[kwlug-disc] 10 Linux features Windows should have by default | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

Fri Dec 4 11:05:36 EST 2009

On December 4, 2009 10:29:43 am Kyle Spaans wrote:
> That hardware *detection* is a good point. I haven't installed a Windows
>  system in a couple of years, but I do always remember it being hard to
>  find out hardware

I find it hard to install hardware on Windows, period. How many idiotic USB
devices have this warning: "DO NOT PLUG IN DEVICE UNTIL AFTER YOU INSTALL
THE SOFTWARE" ?  Printers are difficult to set up, fancy graphics cards are
difficult to set up, and pretty much everything else is a snap, but it's
equally easy on Linux.

The big exceptions are USB dongles with firmware squirrelled away in the
Windows installer -- e.g. TV capture cards.

> details of my setup without special 3rd party tools.
>
> What's available to to this in Linux?
> `dmesg`
> `cat /proc/cpuinfo`
> `lspci`
> (+ a bunch of GUI tools that I don't know about :P)

Don't forget dmidecode and lsusb.

Generally speaking my initial steps with figuring out what I'm dealing with
are as follows:

uname -a
dmidecode
lspci
lsusb

After that I have a pretty good idea of what's on the system, and can drill
down with a few -vs.  :-)

-A.