[kwlug-disc] Desktop linux for Gramps

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Dec 3 13:39:40 EST 2009

Agreed. (Ubuntu/Kubuntu)

Glenn, you have written a number of times about your problems with
Mandriva, which seem to mostly surround availability, end of life,
less (free) support than for other distros, cost, and other things.
Don't perpetuate and extend your aggravation. "Come to the light!"

My take on KDE / Gnome is KDE provides menus wherein you see what
software is present (what you can do) and you pick which way you'd
like to do it at that moment. Gnome shows you what you wanted the
computer to do for you (rather than every possible thing you could do)
and lets you pick which activity you want to do at that moment. i.e.
Smaller menus mean less intimidation. [That's way simplistic, but
seems to be a way of characterizing things. Each is, of course,
equally capable. Just presented differently.] So, I'm a KDE fan, but
your Mother and sister may well prefer Gnome.

Heck, grab a live cd of both ubuntu and kubuntu and show it to them.
See what they think.

Once installed, I suspect the distro will matter much less than the
apps used, which will likely be the same regardless of the distro you
use. e.g. Firefox and kmail/evolution.

The buntu's, being very popular, probably have as good hardware and
software support, and so are current, than most. And being one step
removed from Debian, mean that there tends to be fewer and more
refined choices of any particular functional point.

I would suggest a small laptop. The computer may be regarded much like
any other appliance, like a VCR. Icky wires and umpteen pieces
(monitor, keyboard, mouse, computer, etc.) can be a barrier. If you
can, have them try mousing first - touchpads, mice, etc., can take
some getting used to. Depending upon hand mobility, a writing pad
(http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=021011&cid=KBM.227)
or thumb ball
(http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014915&cid=KBM.602)
may be preferred.

Give them a way to deal with photos. Even if only that your sister can
post to flickr and your Mother can view them there. Or something. Make
sure they can do their online banking. Show them wikipedia. And set
them up with a skype equivalent. (Let them discover, keep contact
with, and interact, with friends.) If they haver interests
(gardening?), show them how they can pursue those interests. i.e. Get
buy-in.

And, most importantly, make sure you can remotely access their
desktops so you can support them. If they lose interest, or can't
figure things out, you don't want your efforts to be relegated to a
corner, gathering dust. (Which is what happened with my mother, but
that had more to do with mousing causing her hand to ache too much to
be worth it to her.]