[kwlug-disc] excluding directories in diff

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Aug 31 17:31:45 EDT 2009

john at netdirect.ca wrote, On 08/31/2009 4:11 PM:
> kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 08/31/2009 03:16:38 PM:
>> From: unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca>
>>
>> I can't run samples to know, but perhaps?
>>
>> Can you grep the output to remove the irrelevant directories and file
>> not on path lines?
>>
>> Can you run rsync in list only mode to tell you what it would do?
>> (rsync on the command line / local computer is just a non-server file
>> copying / sync utility.) Perhaps rsync provides you with easier
>> scriptability in this instance?
>
> That's an interesting take on it. The 'find' command has syntax that is
> much better at matching and you could run it first to build an exclude
> file.
>
> I still would expect that some form of pattern should match. Perhaps one
> of these:
>
> proj2/images
> proj2/images/*
> ./proj2/images
> ./proj2/images/*
> /proj2/images
> /proj2/images/*
> new/proj2/images
> new/proj2/images/*
> orig/proj2/images
> orig/proj2/images/*
>
> It shouldn't hurt to put all of them in an exclude file.

Attacking from another direction ... isn't this really what CVS' are
all about? I don't sense from Paul's comments that this is a one-off,
so does it make any sense to mash the directory structures into some
level of conformance and convert them into repositories? (I presume
each directory or local config file could have locally applicable
exclude directories. And that directories won't be in constant flux.
As new ones get added you may or may not want to exclude it, but
you're not going to go back and randomly rename existing directories.)