[kwlug-disc] excluding directories in diff

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Mon Aug 31 16:11:22 EDT 2009

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 08/31/2009 03:16:38 PM:
> From: unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca>
>
> I can't run samples to know, but perhaps?
>
> Can you grep the output to remove the irrelevant directories and file
> not on path lines?
>
> Can you run rsync in list only mode to tell you what it would do?
> (rsync on the command line / local computer is just a non-server file
> copying / sync utility.) Perhaps rsync provides you with easier
> scriptability in this instance?

That's an interesting take on it. The 'find' command has syntax that is
much better at matching and you could run it first to build an exclude
file.

I still would expect that some form of pattern should match. Perhaps one
of these:

proj2/images
proj2/images/*
./proj2/images
./proj2/images/*
/proj2/images
/proj2/images/*
new/proj2/images
new/proj2/images/*
orig/proj2/images
orig/proj2/images/*

It shouldn't hurt to put all of them in an exclude file.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO
564 Weber St. N. Unit 12