[kwlug-disc] Nokia smartphone with APT!

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Aug 23 16:08:50 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 3:52 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Bob Jonkman wrote, On 08/23/2009 3:33 PM:
>
>> There is plenty of interest.  On-list discussion would be welcomed by me,
>> as would a presentation.
>>
>> My cell phone contract expires in September, and I had been hoping to sign
>> up with one of the new cellular carriers like Globalive (now Wind
>>

> FWIW, if you're not hung up on carriers, or data ... Rogers Pay As You Go
> with a $100 card will last a year. Coming out to $8.33/month. Assuming data
> you do happens via local bluetooth/wi-fi link rather than over the carrier.
> No contract. And, being GSM, you should be able to use whatever phone you
> choose, purchased elsewhere.

That is exactly what I have. And that is exactly what I do. It is the most
economical. Also any unused balance will get carried indefinitely if you
renew before it expires with $100.

The downside is that if you use a smartphone and use the "full internet"
(e.g. Opera browser),
they charge exorbitant rates. Make sure you configure the WAP proxies
correctly to avoid that. I have had so so success with them (web would work,
but Google's Gmail application will not or vice versa).

> There's a $0.01/minutes plan > 8:00 PM & weekends.
>

> FWIW.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com