[kwlug-disc] Nokia smartphone with APT!

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Aug 23 15:33:27 EDT 2009

There is plenty of interest.  On-list discussion would be welcomed by
me, as would a presentation.

My cell phone contract expires in September, and I had been hoping to
sign up with one of the new cellular carriers like Globalive (now Wind
Mobile).  Sadly, it seems they've been litigated into next year by
Telus, and won't be accepting subscribers for months yet.  I want to run
OpenMoko on a phone I choose, but it seems Wind will be bundling their
services with their own phones.  It may be a technical limitation --
they're using LTE, which current cell phone radios may not support.
Still, I'm hoping for open phone OSes to appear with the new carriers,
without requiring jailbreaking or other roundabout techniques.

--Bob.