[kwlug-disc] New OpenStreetMap group for KW and surroundings.

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Aug 19 11:32:09 EDT 2009

This is to mapping what Wikipedia is to Encyclopedias and Knowledge.

Once enough is mapped to make it useful, vendors will grab it since they
don't have to pay royalties. And it will be updated more frequently than
commercial maps.

You will see synergy between devices and the web, more remixes creatively
done, ...etc.

Good work Richard.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Insurance Squared Inc. <
gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:

> I've said this before, but I'll say it again - Thanks Richard for your
> missionary work on this.
> I think the concept is cool, but I also think we're going to see some
> definite changes at the consumer level as a result of yours and others work
> on this.  I fully expect that in the coming years consumer-level GPS's will
> be taking advantage of all the hard work you've been doing (and I will then
> be personally be able to enjoy the benefits of your hard work).
>
> Maps are something that have been entirely and heavy-handed closed source
> forever, OpenStreetMap is not just breaking that stranglehold, I think it's
> going to dominate and open up new avenues for us all.  This is going to be a
> prominent victory for the open source concept.
>

> Richard Weait wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm starting a meetup.com group for OSM in / around KW.  Join now!
>>
>> http://www.meetup.com/Waterloo-OSM/
>>
>> OpenStreetMap is FreeSoftware and OpenGeoData.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Richard

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.