[kwlug-disc] next issue: imaps server not running

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Aug 17 11:39:46 EDT 2009

   solved one problem, moved on to the next.  now that i got my
/etc/aliases.db file, i can see (on my newly-upgraded etch system)
that mail is being delivered, but is not available from other systems
via, for instances, horde or thunderbird.

   those client systems are configured to connect to port 993 (which,
according to /etc/services, is IMAP over SSL, which makes perfect
sense).  but netstat on the alleged mail server shows me that nothing
is listening on that port.

   everything else seems to be running fine, but nothing listening on
that port to accept client connections.  what's supposed to be running
for that to happen?  thanks.

rday