[kwlug-disc] Is MS humbling down?

Chris Bruner cbruner at quadro.net
Sat Aug 15 01:01:36 EDT 2009

> We had the same experience year's ago except it was 8 hours and multiple
> reboots to install a Windows server but 1 hour and 1 reboot on the same
> hardware for Linux. Both server systems installed with similar services.
>
> It is easier if you use the vendor supplied image that came with the
> notebook which includes all the drivers, but it still takes several
> reboots and longer than 45 minutes.

Not to mention the "enhancements". I just spent the better part of 2
weeks with a fellow who was not for the life of him be able to get a
full report from a cgi on a windows server. I tried recompiling code,
deleting files configuration files, rebuilding configuration files,
anything I could think of.

Suggested tonight that maybe the faulty configuration file was stuck in
memory. Sure enough, rebooting loaded the right one in. I guess reading
a file for a cgi-bin would take too much time.

I've never had this sort of problem with Linux. It makes me wonder what
happens when there is a data update. Are the new reports going to have
old data?  I know the code opened the file, read the values, closed the
file.  Bloody waste of time.