[kwlug-disc] Is SVN good enough?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Aug 14 15:45:16 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 03:34:12PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> CVS is a pain, and should not be used unless under duress (e.g. your
> project requires it).

True. :-)

> But SVN does have merging.
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.branchmerge.basicmerging.html
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.branchmerge.advanced.html

I know, I just don't trust it like I do git.  Personal bias perhaps.
I know that some of the merging features git has have only recently
been added to SVN, or so I've heard.

> > I've used Cygwin's version of git on windows and was quite happy.
>
> Yes, all of them worki that way. But for a native GUI client on Windows
> not all of them have that. I know that SVN and bzr do, the rest are so so.

Git has a native version for windows too, called msysgit, but I tried
cygwin first and it worked so well I didn't bother changing.

	http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

As for GUIs, the only one I use is gitk for viewing branches, etc, so
I'm probably not the best to recommend GUIs.  I can only point to the
available options:

   http://stackoverflow.com/questions/157476/what-guis-exist-for-git-on-windows

- Chris