[kwlug-disc] Is SVN good enough?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Aug 14 15:34:12 EDT 2009

> I used to be a CVS fan, and now that I'm a git fan, CVS (and SVN by
> association) look like rickety towers that might fall over.
>
> Merging is not really a native feature of CVS or SVN, to my mind, and
> if you're doing that a lot, you might want to do some trial runs to
> see which works better for you.

CVS is a pain, and should not be used unless under duress (e.g. your
project requires it).

But SVN does have merging.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.branchmerge.basicmerging.html
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.branchmerge.advanced.html

> > If we go with a cool new toy, is Mercurial good enough? I know that
> > git is more popular with the Linux crowd, but having good native
> > Windows support is an asset because I want to move Windows source code
> > to version control as well, and using a single VCS is a lot more
> > appealing than using a mix.
>
> I've used Cygwin's version of git on windows and was quite happy.

Yes, all of them worki that way. But for a native GUI client on Windows
not all of them have that. I know that SVN and bzr do, the rest are so so.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.