[kwlug-disc] is it just me, or is debian package management painful?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Aug 14 11:16:20 EDT 2009

And, the useful repositories are not configured by default. Adding
repositories
is not simply adding a line in a file.

Out of the box, an Ubuntu LTS server has *everything* that can be imagined
available for apt.

Case in point: regular packages that we use on every client's web site are
ALL
in Ubuntu's repository. Things like awstats, htop, munin, ...etc. On CentOS,
the
packages are either not in the repository, are out of date, or broken.

One client we added a few months ago was on CentOS, and had daily outages
and hardly any tools to diagnose the issues. The hosting company could not
install
them properly either. They went on the hunt for RPMs. They gave us MRTG
instead
of Munin, and htop did not even give utilization per CPU.We moved them to
Ubuntu,
installed the tools we need for diagnosis and tuning, and they grew 120%
without
outages in 5 months.

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Charles M <chaslinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> My frustration with yum is that it's so darn slow! Compared to apt-get
> or aptitude it's a snail in a rabbit race.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com