[kwlug-disc] is it just me, or is debian package management painful?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Aug 13 21:38:36 EDT 2009

> > >I appreciate that there may be things i want to do that are arcane and
> obscure, but i
> > >don't think the above operations qualify.
> >
> > I wasn't going to interject as I don't have anything useful to add
> > to the original question.
> >
> > Funny thing is that I was thinking that you were trying to do
> > something quite out of the ordinary.
>   not at all -- it's something i've done on fedora a number of times.
> sometimes, you just want to download an rpm file and install it from a
> local directory, and "yum localinstall" lets you do just that.  it
> will use your configured repos to resolve any dependencies.  i don't
> think that's a particularly arcane operation.

Paul seems to have nailed it with gdebi-core package.

As an aside ...

Going to debian from Mandriva (which is RPM based) was a mindset change for

The old way was using Google to search for .rpm's, find which version they
are built for,
downloading them, installing them using rpm -ivh, only to find that there
are unmet

These days are gone with Debian. The repository solves all that.

Yast tried to solve that, but still, if you want to rpm -i something, you
to go to dependency hell.