[kwlug-disc] is it just me, or is debian package management painful?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Aug 13 20:36:24 EDT 2009

If the repositories for all the previous versions are available, then it is
worth
a shot.

Ubuntu for example, makes the repositories for unsupported releases
inaccessible
by apt, so it is hard to do online. But, if you have CDs, or Debian keeps
them,
then I would give that a try before doing the more drastic method.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, L.D. Paniak wrote:
>
> > First thing you should do is update your Debian install 5.0 (Lenny). 3.1
> > (Sarge) has been obsolete for quite a while now.  I doubt that your
> > Sarge can be updated in place without breaking it badly.
>
>   i already assumed that that size of upgrade would cause massive
> breakage.  but does debian upgrade have the ability to let me upgrade
> from, say, 3.1 to 3.2?  fix breakage.  3.2 to 3.3.  etc, etc.  it
> would actually be trememdously useful for me to be able to do that,
> even if it takes a little longer.
>
> rday
> --

> Robert P. J. Day                               Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
>        Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry.
>
> Web page:                                          http://crashcourse.ca

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com